Friday 5 June 2015

Pre Scafell Trail Marathon Thoughts

This Sunday is my next competitive trail race, and my last long(ish) race until my main goal, the Lakeland 50.  Training has gone well since the Kielder 50k,with more long days in the hills to try and combat my late-race fade.

The course looks like a fairly good one, with a fast, flat start followed by a cheeky climb to the top of Scafell, a lovely descent back down the a flat fast run to the finish, rudely interrupted part way along by another climb up to Watendlath Beck.

As is usual, with a race that provides an entry list, I've been keeping an eye on it for people I recognise to try and gauge how close to the front I'll finish.

Ricky Lightfoot - apparently he's running well at the moment, I'll need a miracle to beat him.

Tony Holland - coming back from a stress fracture in his foot, probably not in the top 10, but not too far off!

Daniel Miller - part of the newly formed Endurance Store Trail Team.Haven't raced against him,but he's likely fast as he's running in Marc Laithwaite's team!

Charlie Sharpe - not currently on the entry list, and is going to try and break his course record at the Bolton Hill Marathon so he says he's just going to jog round on Sunday...Like I believe that!

As usual, there'll be someone there I don't recognise that'll be ridiculously fast, but it's looking hopeful for top 5!  Looking at last years time I'm looking at around 4:05-4:15.

The ladies race looks to be pretty tight up front!

Sally Ozanne

Charmaine Horsfall

Kate Browning

Sally Fawcett

Are all going to be fighting it out, will be interesting to see who comes out on top!

As usual, I'll be racing in my TORQ/Altura kit, lugging around the mandatory kit in the UD SJ pack, Camelbak Podium bottles for my hydration (in TORQ colours, of course!), Tifosi Podium sunnies (ever hopeful) and Brooks PureGrit 2 on my hooves.

Nutrition will betaken car of by 8 TORQ gels, 1 per 1/2 hour, helped with 500ml TORQ energy.

Roll on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment